Okay.  Here’s the status on the bathroom cabinet doors:

The first door I made–a few weeks ago–fit perfectly, however, the other doors were not square; the frame itself was not square; so, I ended up taking all of the doors apart and starting over.  The first thing we did was square up the frame.  Since only one part of the frame was out by 1/8″, we moved it over by tapping it with a hammer and a scrap piece of wood (so we would not damage the frame) to even it up.

Once that was done, I tore apart my old doors by cutting along the joints where they were glued together.  By doing this, I was able to reuse the stiles on the old doors, as the rails on the new ones.

Broken-down doors

This time I built the doors differently.  I used an excellent tutorial by the very talented Sandra at Sawdust and Paper Scraps.  You really should check out her blog–she is amazing and her blog is a constant go-to resource of mine.  Thanks, Sandra!

My first attempt at the doors, I made the cuts at a 45 degree angle.  Very much like a picture frame.  This time around, I went with a traditional 90 degree cut.  Like I said, I used the stiles from the old doors as the rails for the new doors.  I cut new stiles out of new stock.

Then I had to router the new stiles so the panel could fit.  When routing the ends of the rails, I secured it against a larger piece of scrap wood with a clamp to keep it even, and to keep it from getting sucked into the router blade.

Then, I cut some very small pieces out of a furring strip.  These will be used to join the rails and stiles together.

This is where the small furring strips go:

Since our garage is jammed full of motorcycles, lawn equipment, and all kinds of junk, I don’t have room for a proper work table.   Which is why I am using the top of a freezer to assemble my doors.

Once everything was joined together and squared up, it was time to clamp them up to dry.

Once the glue had enough time to dry, I could dry fit the door.

As of this post, I have completed two doors.  Now I’m off to make the other two.  Hopefully this project is coming to an end.  I have so many other things I want to tackle, and I’m really tired of this bathroom reno…

UPDATE:  All four doors are done!  Tomorrow we dry fit, hang, and paint.

 

Advertisements