About a month ago, I set a goal to have the cabinet doors finished in the master bathroom, by January 1, 2012.  That leaves me a matter of hours to get ’em done.   My way of making these doors is probably unconventional, but it works.  I just hope they stand the test of time.

I started by measuring the opening.  Since these are inset doors, I want the doors to be about 1/8″ shorter than the opening–that’s 1/16″ on all sides.  Done.

After donning the appropriate safety gear (eyes/ears/lung protection), I decided to mitre cut the rails and stiles at a 45 degree angle, instead of 90 degrees, which is what most people do.  (Note, I did not mitre cut these on the table saw, which is how it appears in the photo below.  This was just the best place to take the picture).

Once I cut all of the rails and stiles to length, it was over to the router table to cut a 1/4″ groove to hold the panel.  Be sure to mark which sides of the rails and stiles will be facing front once assembled.  Do this before you router, or you will back at step one.

I cut the groove with a 1/4″ tongue & groove router bit.  A standard 1/4″ router bit, would have worked fine, but I don’t have one.  I had to do some test cuts to make sure I had the bit at the correct height.

I  hate using a router table.  They are so dangerous and are to be used with extreme caution–as should all power tools, but I really dislike a router table.  Please read up on all safety guidelines before operating one. 

Once I was finished with the router table, it was time to assemble. 

Time to break out the biscuit cutter and make the grooves for the biscuits.  Again, pay attention to which side of the frame is facing up (or down), just make sure it is consistent before you start cutting.   I love my biscuit cutter!

After dry fitting the frame, I assembled the top and sides with biscuits and wood glue.  I had to cut the biscuits in half so they would not interfere with the slot that holds the panel.

Once I had the panel cut to size, I could slide it in and put the last piece in place.

(Any wood imperfections will be smoothed out with wood putty and then sanded).

After clamping the doors overnight, it was time to dry fit.  Fingers crossed…

It fits –as if I planned it that way!  I still have to prime and paint which can cause problems when fitting an inset door.  If the door is too large, you can always sand it down.  One down, three to go!

While I was tackling cabinet doors, Norm and Jonathan were installing laminate flooring in the basement.  They have done an incredible job!  (Our son usually does not care to take part in our home-improvement saga, but he is trying to earn money to support his Airsoft hobby!)

So, as we start off 2012 with another project, I would like to wish my readers (Mom and Dad), a happy and productive new year!

Advertisements